Dental Checkups and Cleanings – Westminster, CO
Protect Teeth for a Lifetime of Healthy Smiles
Regular dental checkups and cleanings are an essential part of maintaining sound oral health. These appointments give your dentist an opportunity to monitor your teeth and gums and give you the opportunity to ask any questions you have about caring for your smile. We heartily encourage you to visit us at least once every six months for a cleaning a checkup! On this page, you will learn more about why these appointments are so important and what you can expect during them.
The Importance of Routine Dental Visits
Some people reason, “I brush and floss every day, so I don’t really need to visit the dentist for a checkup.” However, that type of thinking is dangerous because even if you have excellent daily habits, you could have an oral health problem that is still in its early stages. For example, you are unlikely to notice a new cavity because it may not cause any pain until it gets deep enough that it completely penetrates your enamel. You also may not notice the first indications of gum recession or gum disease because these can be quite subtle. A dentist is trained to spot such issues, and catching them before they become serious will save you time and money in the future.
What to Expect at Your Cleanings and Checkups
During a routine dental visit, Dr. Bancroft will thoroughly examine your teeth and gums. She might also recommend that you get some X-rays taken. Periodic X-rays are important for all of our patients, even ones that are not showing any obvious signs of oral health problems. This is because infections and other dangerous conditions can begin beneath the gumline or in the tight spaces between the teeth that are impossible to see during a regular visual exam.
Your appointment will also include a thorough and refreshing cleaning by one of our talented hygienists.
Questions to Ask During Your Next Appointment
We love to educate our patients about dentistry! We will freely give you information about how you can take the best care of your oral health, but you should also feel welcome to ask any questions that are weighing on your mind. Some questions you might ask include:
- What should be included in my oral hygiene regimen at home? We’ll be happy to give you tips on proper brushing and flossing technique. We might also make product recommendations.
- Do I have any dental health conditions I should know about? Whatever diagnosis you receive, we will explain it to you in detail.
- Is there anything I should be doing to help prevent dental issues in the future? We might recommend that you stop certain habits (like smoking or chewing or ice), or that you take measures to prevent tooth grinding and clenching.
- Should I change my diet in any way? We encourage our patients to eat a low-sugar diet that is rich in tooth-friendly nutrients like calcium, vitamin D, and phosphorous.
- Am I using my dental insurance effectively? Most dental insurance plans cover 100% of the cost of routine dental checkups and cleanings.